Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Abnormal….shit!

So today is the day that I got back my first “abnormal” pap smear. I am sure it was bound to happen at some time, but I just assumed that it would be when I was much older and had already popped out a few kids. Going to the gynecologist is never that fun (its not that bad either) but it is always sort of awkward - with your feet up in the air in a freezing room that is never quite sound proof enough worrying about if your pink parts are “normal”. The metal lamp, cold gooey gel, the cramping and pressure on the inside…yeah, I would say it’s a bit awkward :)


Anyways, it is fitting that this is also the day I got back my STD results, which were all negative. *Sigh* Getting a pap is such a routine now that I don’t think anything of it, however getting tested is a bit nerve racking cause although you think you have been safe, all it takes is just one time. We have all been there, debating whether or not you want to know, and what you would do if the results came back positive. How would you cope? Feeling some religious regret, maybe for being so physical? So in retrospect, today could have been a lot worse, but now I have to go to another gynecologist to get another pap (which I hope is covered by my insurance) to see if I have/confirm abnormalities, HPV, and the possible threat of cancer in the future. Now I am asking these questions again to myself. During my lunch time run, I was a bit reflective of the steps that got me here. I mean, I got the HPV vaccination over a year ago. Did I have these abnormalities since before then and how come previous tests never indicated these? What does this mean? I don’t really know except that I have to go and get another pap with another stranger…just great! That would make 3 doctors exploring my insides this month…

No comments:

Post a Comment